I think I need to expand on my original reply on this thread.

Rafi Rubin encountered the same ID change, see my original post for link.

To answer my own question the patch set isn't in input-wacom yet
because the last Dmitry next merge by Ping was  from 6-12-12 and the
patch set was after that.

Patch set explanation and two replies including Rafi's test:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-input/msg21303.html
Patch set:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-input/msg21304.html
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-input/msg21305.html
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-input/msg21306.html
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-input/msg21307.html

My assumption was this patch set also fixes the ID problem(a fall
through?).  Because Rafi reported it fixed his digitizer and he had
the same ID change.  It is just not obvious that fixing the ID is what
this patch set does but I don't see another patch that does do that so
I think this is what you need.

If you don't want to patch you can get the source code from Przemo's
Wacom-kernel Repository:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/index.php?title=Wacom-kernel_Repository

Then you'll need to substitute the wacom.h, wacom_wac.h, wacom_sys.c,
and wacom_wac.c you obtain for the ones in your kernel source code
before compiling the wacom.ko module:
make -C/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=`pwd` modules

sudo cp wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/

Or it might be simpler to do that in input-wacom's 2.6.38 folder and
use its Makefiles.  You may want to make a dkms.

Good luck.

Favux