> Developer A should have merged from the SCM, then done a complete
> re-test, including rebuilding the database.  At least, that's how I see it.

Yep, that is another solution I'd forgotten, but it is also one I was trying to
avoid. In general, I would not recommend rebuilding the database because of
these problems:

- When you constantly rebuild your database, you are not testing data
migration, which is one of the main advantages of using a tool such as
Liquibase.
- It forces all the developers and testers to loose their test data. When test
data has been inserted during the development or testing of a new feature or
something like that, it may not be so easy to automatically reinsert it into
the database. Loosing that data can be extremely inconvenient.
- Considering a large database, a rebuild can be potentially slower than a
simple update.

> It looks to me like the problem in this scenario is NOT recreating a
> database from the ground up for testing.  I constantly struggle with
> this problem with our QE department.  They want to keep pulling their
> data forward as changes occur, instead of creating a script that will
> regenerate their data sets.

The problems that arise during development and testing are the same
that will arise during the migrations of your end users databases. As I
said, identifying these problems early is one key feature of a database
change management tool. To achieve this, you must favor updating over
rebuilding.

> There is always the potential for problems
> arising from data that is no longer valid after a code/database change.

Data should always be valid after a code/database change. If it is not, then
you are probably not migrating your data correctly.

Cheers,
Diego

http://br.maisbuscados.yahoo.com