I would agree that testing the migration should be a part of the
development process, but I think of it as a level of testing that comes
after my software.  First and foremost, the software has to work with
the version of the database that it is designed to run against.  I do
understand that with large databases, this can be troublesome.

Data being valid after a migration assumes that the data was valid
before the migration.  When you're testing new software, that's not
always the case.  Bugs slip through to QE, they create data that isn't
really valid using this bug, a later migration pulls along that bad
data.  You may not discover it for several iterations.