errrr...ok!

it sounds like performing a low level format needs some special equipment that I'm not likely to have. If it can't be done on a Mac (now or old) or a Lisa, then I'm kinda screwed.

One other thing I have noticed is an error 10100 next to what I guess is the lisa equivalent of 'Sad-Mac'. Is this related to the drive? I can not find any reference to this code.

So, I will try to pursue the IDEfile direction. I have no knowledge of electronics, however I feel confident with the soldering challenge at least. Helmut, it sounds like you have built one before. I may have some questions for you in the near future ;-)

I won't give up on the Sun REMarketing drive yet. Maybe I'll email SUN REM direct. If I don't have the tools, maybe they can still reformat my drive for me.

Thanks for your reply