> Of course not, neither Mac, nor Lisa could display
> 80x25x16 or 40x25x16
> color text mode

 Maybe that's the whole point, hmmm? The PCs have
dedicated crt controllers...the Mac didn't. These were
highly programmable, had diverse textual and graphical
modes.

>which the video makes it hard to
> distinguish between.

 Absolutely. And that's the beauty of it (it wasn't
all that hard to distinguish actually. A marvel on
such early equipment though).

> It's nice that someone bothered to write the
> assembly code to do that,
> but, meh.  Truth be told, that's either a 2K or 4K
> display.

 It's an original IBM CGA 5153. Not sure what you mean
by 2K or 4K.

> Compare that to digital camera displays whose real
> state is measured in megapixels, and it's not all
> that impressive.  It's about the size of
> two icons, if that. :-)

 Ummm, what decade are we talking about here? You're
comparing a 1981 display to a post 2000 digital
camera? Get real.

> Then again, neither could the IBM PC's CGA display
> do 720x384 (half of a
> printed page) black and white that looked as good.

 Not sure if that's a reference to the Lisa, but the
Mac did 512 x 342. The IBM MDA card displayed 720 x
348 on any compatible monochrome monitor, any color
(paper white displays weren't commonly used with IBM
stuph). And granted, no graphics until the Hercules
card came out.

> Most you could get
> from a CGA card is 640x200x2.

 True, but for $2500, the price of the original 128k
Mac IIRC, you could get a PC or compatible with double
the resolution, with 8 or 16 colors.

<http://www.mail-archive.com/lisalist%40mail.maclaunch.com/>