LISP is a bit unique in that it can enable many applications
concurrently.

If the effort for each application is spun off to different groups, each
thread will evolve independently and with that the cohesion of the
protocol may quickly be lost.

IMO it is important that the WG retains ownership/authority over all
things LISP.

-v

Of
> Terry Manderson
> Sent: Monday, September 26, 2011 9:17 PM
> To: Dino Farinacci (dino)
> Cc: lisp@ietf.org
> Subject: Re: [lisp] LISP (re-)Charter discussion
>
> Thanks Dino,
>
> I encourage all LISP WG members to reflect on the questions below and
voice
> an opinion.
>
> To paraphrase what Dino has written, one proposal (and Dino correct me
if
> I've oversimplified) is that the LISP WG should become a working group
that
> contains ALL things LISP. So wherever a body of work uses LISP
> encapsulation, or LISP mapping it may gravitate to here to maintain
LISP
> interoperability and (where appropriate) protocol cohesion.
>
> ..discuss.
>
> :)
>
> Cheers
> Terry
>

> On 23/09/11 3:24 AM, "Dino Farinacci" <d...@cisco.com> wrote:
>
> > Terry, what I would like to know first and foremost, before adding
any
> > specific feature or use-cases to the charter is if they *should*
belong
> in the
> > LISP working group charter versus being owne by another working
group.
> And
> > what the working group thinks about this. I will give some examples
> get
> > some clarity and to be more specific.
> >
> > (1) LISP could be used for many data-center use-cases.
> > (2) LISP could be used for device mobility.
> > (3) LISP could be used as a IPv6 coexistence solution while
delivering
> route
> > table reduction and low opex multihoming.
> > (4) LISP could be used as a VPN solution.
> > (5) The mapping database could be used for other applications like
> keeping
> > track of multicast group membership.
> >
> > So, to enumerate each one:
> >
> > For (1), does the LISP WG take this on or is there a data-center
specific
> > protocol solution working group (ARMD is not that working group
because
> it is
> > a requirement definition working group)?
> >
> > For (2), the MOBOPTs IRTF research group seem to take interest in
LISP-
> MN.
> > Does it do the initial work and have it spin off a mobility working
> group,
> > which there are many already. To add, there is a cross-product issue
too
> since
> > LISP-Multicast can run in a LISP-MN implementation and there is a
> multimob
> > working group already established.
> >
> > For (3), there are zillions of solutions and places where this
occurs
> over the
> > last decade, I would suggest not spinning another working group for
this
> and
> > have the LISP working group be "address-family" agnostic which would
also
> > include MAC addressing as a address-family as well a GPS
coordinates.

> > For (4), again, coupled with (3), LISP can do L2-over-L3,
L3-over-L3, as
> well
> > as the other 2 combinations, does the VPN use-case stay in the LISP
> working
> > group or is it fragmented to be taken to each L2VPN and L3VPN
working
> groups.
> >
> > For (5), we do not want to error where everything is put into DNS
> (because it
> > is the only applicaiton level wide-area/multi-organizational
distributed
> > database). In our case the mapping database. And moreoever, if the
use-
> case
> > functionality is distributed to other working groups, will there be
> design
> > change requests to the mapping database design coming from too many
> source
> > points.
> >
> > As you can see, this can get very complex and confusing and could
result
> in
> > design fragmentation and opportunity for competitive proposals. All
which
> turn
> > out to add more inefficiencies to the protocol design process which
> nearly
> > always results in undeployable compromises.
> >
> > Dino
> >
> > On Sep 21, 2011, at 5:04 PM, Terry Manderson wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Folks,
> >>
> >> In Prague there was no strong consensus on modifying the LISP
Charter
> from
> >> what it currently is, perhaps only updating the existing
> Goals/Milestones.
> >>
> >> So no clear decision could be made. What I would like to do is push
out
> >> 'idea generating' draft charter that is _almost_ identical to what
we
> have
> >> today.
> >>
> >> You can find the existing charter here:
> >> https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/lisp/charter/
> >>
> >> The draft is below.
> >>
> >> So in light of such an approach, Joel and I discussed some work
items
> that
> >> came from what was said at the mic in Prague and to us
individually.

> [...]
> >> identifiers are composed of two parts: a "global" portion that
uniquely
> >> identifies a particular site and a "local" portion that identifies
an
> >> interface within a site. The "local" portion may be subdivided to
> >> identify a particular network within the site. For a given
identifier,
> >> LISP maps the "global" portion of the identifier into a set of
locators
> >> that can be used by de-capsulation devices to reach the identified
> >> interface; as a consequence a host would typically change
identifiers
> >> when it moves from one site to another or whenever it moves from
one
> >> subnet to another within an site. Typically, the same IP address
will
> >> not be used as an identifier and locator in LISP.
> >>
> >> LISP requires no changes to end-systems or to most routers. LISP
aims
> >> for an incrementally deployable protocol.
> >>
> >> A number of approaches are being looked at in parallel in the IRTF
and
> >> IETF. At this time, these proposals are at an early stage. All
proposals
> >> (including LISP) have potentially harmful side-effects to Internet
> >> traffic carried by the involved routers, have parts where
deployment
> >> incentives may be lacking, and are NOT RECOMMENDED for deployment
beyond
> >> experimental situations at this stage. Many of the proposals have
> >> components (such as the identifier to locator mapping system) where
it
> >> is not yet known what kind of design alternative is the best one
among
> >> many.
> >>
> >> However, despite these issues it would be valuable to write
concrete
> >> protocol specifications and develop implementations that can be
used to
> >> understand the characteristics of these designs. The LISP WG is
> >> chartered to work on the LISP base protocol and any items which
directly
> >> impact LISP. The working group will encourage and
> >> support interoperable LISP implementations as well as defining
> >> requirements for alternate mapping systems. The Working Group will
also
> >> develop security profiles for the ALT and/or other mapping systems.
> >>
> >> It is expected that the results of specifying, implementing, and
testing
> >> LISP will be fed to the general efforts at the IETF and IRTF (e.g.,
the
> >> Routing Research Group) that attempts to understand which type of a
> >> solution is optimal. The LISP WG is NOT chartered to develop the
final
> >> or standard solution for solving the routing scalability problem.
Its