> Correct, what is of interest is to have some sense of the likelihood of the
> mapping received changing and allow the ITR to check again. We are looking at
> the NMR as one way to indicate back to the ITR the nature

Sounds like one way is using draft-rodrigueznatal-lisp-pubsub-00. Then the ITR
doesn’t have to poll.

> of the mapping. Because the ITR can differentiate clearly between an NMR and
> a Positive MR, it can choose

I am not convinced it needs to treat the mappings differently. You probably
want the logic simple in the ITRs. That is, lookup a destination in the
map-cache and encapsulate (and nothting more).

> to treat the mappings differently. For example (maybe this is implementation
> specific) the cache-TTL assigned to the mapping received in an NMR may be in
> the order of minutes, vs. a mapping from a positive MR having a TTL in the
> order of hours..

That is something that the replier can control. Maybe you have a third-party
that ligs non-EIDs, and when the length of the negative prefix changes, then a
new mapping is registered, or you change the RLOC set of the existing mapping.
In either case, pubsub will cause a map-server to Map-Notify the ITRs that are
interested.

>> I would not call these negative map-replies though. By definition, from the
>> spec, a negative map-reply is a map-reply with an RLOC-count of 0.
>
> What I am after is a map reply with the characteristics of an NMR (short TTL,
> dynamically calculated covering prefix for non-EID destination), but an
> RLOC-count > 0. If there is a way to encode this with a Positive MR, then we
> are covered.

ODL  ;-) Like I referneced above.

>> What many implemenationsn do is when they get a map-reply with an RLOC set
>> of 0, they then decide, via configuration to encapsulate to a list of xTRs.
>> Those xTRs are PETRs (by definition of the implementation).
>
> We are trying to avoid the “decide, via configuration, to encapsulate to a
> list of xTRs”, but still have the ITR give the map-cache a short TTL.

Completely understand. A good goal to go after.

Dino