Thanks Dino,

I want to make sure I understand correctly. A couple of questions:

        If the EID-prefix exists and there is a policy in the Map-Server to

                have the requestor drop packets for the matching EID-prefix,
then a

                Drop/Policy-Denied action is returned. If the EID-prefix exists
and

                there is a authentication failure, then a Drop/Authentication-
                        failure action is returned. If either of these actions
result as a
                        temporary state in policy or authentication then a
Send-Map-Request
                        action with 1-minute TTL MAY be returned to allow the
reqeustor to
                        retry the Map-Request.

Could I not do the above even if the EID-prefix DID NOT EXIST? Or are we
restricting any application of policy only to LISP EID-prefixes, and not to
non-LISP prefixes?

The map-replies suggested in the new text would effectively be NMRs, correct?
i.e. Map-replies with empty locator sets and the ACT bits set.

If that is the intent, maybe we need to revise the definitions for NMR and ACT
as I think right now there is some inconsistency/contradiction:

a) NMR definition - Issued in response to queries only for EIDs that DO NOT
EXIST
b) ACT bits specification - for use in NMRs ONLY
c) New text describing how the ACT bits are used to specify forwarding behavior
for EIDs that DO EXIST

So NMRs are exclusive to non-existent or non-registered EIDs (a) and ACT bits
are exclusive to NMRs (b). Yet (c) implies that NMRs will be used for EIDs that
DO EXIST. So (c) contradicts (a).

Text for (a)

   Negative Map-Reply:   A LISP Map-Reply that contains an empty
      Locator-Set. Returned in response to a Map-Request if the
      destination EID does not exist in the mapping database.
      Typically, this means that the "EID" being requested is an IP
      address connected to a non-LISP site.

Text for (b)

   ACT:  This 3-bit field describes Negative Map-Reply actions.  In any
      other message type, these bits are set to 0 and ignored on
      receipt.  These bits are used only when the 'Locator Count' field
      is set to 0.  The action bits are encoded only in Map-Reply
      messages.  The actions defined are used by an ITR or PITR when a
      destination EID matches a negative Map-Cache entry.  Unassigned
      values SHOULD cause a Map-Cache entry to be created, and when
      packets match this negative cache entry, they will be dropped.

-v

On Mar 20, 2018, at 12:44 AM, Dino Farinacci