I'd assume that most users who would set notify_interval, would know what
they're doing, but I may be wrong.

I can certainly see the scenario in which a new user who likes to experiment,
unsuspectingly sets this to what most would consider an unreasonable value
(such as 1), but I also assume even the most unfamiliar user to epic would be
more cautious than that, and realize that tinkering with things without
realizing their purpose can have consequences.

Nonetheless, I can certainly see why Jeremy sees it prudent to enforce a lower
limit here.  But at the very least, I would like to see what I would consider
a more reasonable lower limit (20-30 seconds, perhaps).  I wouldn't consider
that too unreasonable since the majority of the IRC population is probably
mIRC clients, and they all use a 30 seconds interval.