I have some serious problems with the propose polling questions below.

The problem si that they deal with lower level details while the
higher level meta issues regarding common values have not yet been
touched.  So, the cart is in front of the horse here.

Also, the poll does not alow for enough choices, such as "NONE OF THE
ABOVE", and do not allow for comments to be inserted to qulify
answers.

In short, it is much to limited in band width.  We shodul be able to
say something about why YES or why NO, or why SOMETHING ELSE?

But, aside from my listed concerns, I appreciate the effort to find
some more reasonabel ways to use the net and avoid the limiations of
face-to-face meetings all aroudn the world, whcih meetings have an
uncanny way of being closed to way too may particiants.

Of course, those closed face to face meetings are just ducky for the
people (like our ICANN BoD members) who shun open meetings with their
stakeholders).

Cheers...\Stef

>From your message Mon, 01 Feb 1999 01:46:37 +0000:
}
}Ellen and all,
}
}  We agree with Ellen here as well, and we should also reach out to other
}lists and Stakeholders, which I don't believe that Ellens Poll did but ours
}did (See results below these comments, which I have also posted previously).
}
}  Ellens questions suggested below are good ones as a good "Straw Poll"
}to use as a benchmark for where opinion is on some issues, but not
}quite in depth enough, however we find no problem in it and I will be
}taking it on these lists.  I will also be passing it along to some of
}our staff for participation to other channels and lists for further and broader
}
}participation.
}
}Ellen Rony wrote:
}
}> Jonathan Zittrain wrote:
}> >> Is there any way, architecturally, to do
}> >> better for discussion of the issues than what we have now?
}>
}> Eric Weisberg wrote:
}> >
}> >Yes, if our purpose is to arrive at conclusions and take action.
}> >If that were the case, we would have to elect a moderator and take
}> >votes.
}>
}> I prefer the approach of taking a poll, not a vote, since the subscriber
}> list is not the same as an ICANN membership.  Polls are informal, non
}> binding, and speedy.  They can be used to guage the subscriber sentiment on
}> an issue.  For example, I just ran a poll on the domain policy list (405
}> members) asking whether or not InterNIC should charge for domain name
}> registration at the time the application for a name is submitted.  The poll
}> had 11.4% response rate, running more than 2 to 1 in favor of prepayment.
}> (See http://www.domainhandbook.com/poll-0199.html for specific stats.)
}>
}> I think the Berkman Center would have an appropriate role as the poll
}> taker, and people should be allowed to respond to the list or privately.  I
}> believe polls attract a higher response rate when they are made available
}> through mailing lists than when we are obligated to go to a website and
}> sign on.  It's akin to a detour in our cybertravel.
}>
}> So my recommendation is to come up with occasional questions and put them
}> out for response.  In the poll mentioned above, I deleted all duplicates
}> and made no attempt to verify votes since the weight of the DNS world
}> didn't rely on the outcome.   Polls can be concatenated with other
}> identical polls on other lists (so long as respondents aren't allowed to
}> respond more than once to the same question).
}>
}> If you like the polling idea, my first two question would be:
}>
}> SHOULD ICANN HOLD BOARD MEETINGS THAT ARE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC?
}>
}>         [x]  YES
}>         [   ]  NO
}>
}> SHOULD THE SOs BE REQUIRED TO INCORPORATE?
}>
}>         [   ]  YES
}>         [x]  NO
}
}====  Adding the following poll questions=========
}
}SHOULD THERE BE "CONSTITUENCIES" IN ANY SUPPORTING ORGANIZATION
}BYLAWS STRUCTURE TO REPRESENT SPECIAL INTERESTS?
}
}      [  ] YES
}      [X] NO
}
}SHOULD ANY AN ALL POLICY RECOMMENDATIONS OF A DNSO REQUIRE
}A MAJORITY VOTE OF THE GENERAL OR AT LARGE MEMBERSHIP
}BEFORE ENACTMENT AND SUBMISSION TO THE ICANN?
}
}      [X] YES
}      [  ]  NO
}
}SHOULD ANY POLICY DECISIONS OF CONSIDERATIONS OF THE ICANN
}BE SUBJECT TO MAJORITY VOTE BY THE GENERAL OR AT LARGE
}MEMBERSHIP BY MAJORITY VOTE BEFORE ENACTMENT?
}
}       [X] YES
}       [  ]  NO
}
}>
}>
}> Ellen Rony                                                     Co-author
}> The Domain Name Handbook                   http://www.domainhandbook.com
}> ================================  // ===================================
}> ISBN 0879305150                *="  ____ /             +1 (415) 435-5010
}> [EMAIL PROTECTED]             \     )                    Tiburon, CA
}>                                    //  \\   "Carpe canine"
}>
}> __________________________________________________
}> To receive the digest version instead, send a
}> blank email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
}>
}> To SUBSCRIBE forward this message to:
}> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
}>
}> To UNSUBSCRIBE, forward this message to:
}> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
}>
}> Problems/suggestions regarding this list? Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
}> ___END____________________________________________
}
}Regards,
}
}--
}Jeffrey A. Williams
}CEO/DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.
}Information Network Eng. Group. INEG. INC.
}E-Mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
}Contact Number:  972-447-1894
}Address: 5 East Kirkwood Blvd. Grapevine Texas 75208
}
}