Roberto and all,

  First let me say, that this is an interesting post of yours Robeto, and
quite reveling as to what the real agenda of the DNSO.ORG bunch
are maneuvering for.   (See below for the rest of our comments)

Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> Christopher,
>
> The fact that we disagree on some points, and that this disagreement is so
> deep that cannot be possibly eliminated, does not mean that we cannot agree
> on specific practical issues.
>
> Let me make an example.
>
> I am absolutely convinced that to have not-for-profit gTLD Registries will
> be the best thing.

  Why Roberto?  Why cannot there be a neutral stance on this issue?
Why cannot there be for-profit registries for gTLD's?

> Nevertheless, I am also convinced that NSI will never give up its golden egg
> chicken, and that nobody has the right to impose them to give it away. Also,
> even if NSI will split Registrar and Registry activities, I doubt thet their
> business model will concentrate the profit in the Registrar part.

 As it should Roberto, after all they are a publicly held company and many
people hold stock in that company, such as myself.  It would be poor
business decision to operate their registry business in a non-profit
manner.

> Moreover, if we have one for-profit Registry, it does not seem practically
> feasible that if we create more, they have to be all non-for-profit. It will
> be discriminatory on the others.

  Why would more for-profit registries be discriminatory?  What is the rational
for this position?  How do you justify this from a policy point of view?

> OTOH, if we go to the practical issue of allocating new gTLDs and assigning
> them to Registries, I am sure that we can come to an agreement dictated by
> realpolitik: in other words, I may be (religiously?) against new for-profit
> Registries, but may live with them.

  You will have to live with them.  No set of policies can dictate the
business model of any registry that is handling any gTLD or is a
registrar or registry for said gTLD.  To do so would be against
US law and also against most other countries legal business
structure as well.

> (this is the difference between practicing your religion and imposing it to
> others)

 Agreed.  However it is now clear and we (INEGroup) have suspected
for some time now, that this is the aim of the DNSO.ORG bunch.  In other
words the DNSO.ORG (Leadership?) wants to impose as a matter of
structure and incorporate through policy suggestions to the ICANN,
a strictly non-profit approach to the expanding of the DNS Name space
with gTLD's by making the requirements for charter to a potential
registry/registrar have certain language included in those charters that
excludes them form using a for-profit business model in their application.