At 07:02 PM 3/28/99 -0800, Bill Lovell wrote:
>At 04:53 PM 3/26/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>Bill Lovell a écrit:
>>>
>>> ICANN is saying that
>>> as soon as I tell one of the registrars what that name is, and tell them
>>> I want to park it there, then the ownership of that domain name
>>> transmogrifies over to ICANN?  Horse puckey.
>>
>>It's no more horse puckey, I'm afraid, than the restrictive
>>allocation of electromagnetic radiation in the earth's ionosphere.
>>You can invent a four-letter name for a transmitter of
>>electromagnetic radiation, but it's not much use until the regulator
>>grants you a piece of the high-frequency electromagnetic radiation
>>spectrum. Same soon for domain names.
>
>We're talking past each other.  In your example, the regulator does
>NOT own "KOIN," "WPBS,"  etc., in spite of the fact that it "owns,"
>i.e., has control of, that spectral space. :-)

Bill,

This doesn't appear to square with what we discussed earlier on the "DNS vs Trademarks" thread. If I may summarize the process we were last discussing,
  • Create a TLD charter
  • Trademark the TLD
  • put it into operation.
  • Defend, in court, if need be (and probably win).
Yes, I understand, primarily from *your* explanation, that a trademark isn't actually owned by the tm-holder. However, for all intents and purposes they have the same control as an owner does, along with the additional duty to defend that trademark. Are you reversing those statements here?

Roeland M.J. Meyer -
e-mail:                                      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Internet phone:                                hawk.lvrmr.mhsc.com
Personal web pages:             http://staff.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site:                           http://www.mhsc.com
                       KISS ... gotta love it!