Bill and all,

Bill Lovell wrote:

> At 11:33 PM 3/29/99 -0800, you wrote:

> "DNS vs
> discussing,
> >>
> >>  I've been learning a few things. One of which is that I've begun to look at
> >>  things in
> >>  functional terms rather than mere appearances.  (I suffered for some time
> >>  from
> >>  the NSI fungus growth on my brain, but I'm clearing up quite nicely now,
> >>  thank
> >>  you.)
> >>
> >>  a) I'm not sure what you mean above by a "TLD charter," unless it is that
> >>  you
> >>  "ordain" some set of symbols to be a TLD -- by fiat, you create a TLD.
> >
> >I believe the refers to the "charter" meaning that will spell out what type of
> >registration is or is not appropriate for that TLD, such as the failed charter
> >of net/org/com.
>
> I still don't see what "sniff test" one runs to determine whether or not a
> TLD is "chartered."  Is it an acknowledgment from the gods who run the
> internet that, yes, that TLD is acceptable and shall be used for a routing
> code on the internet?

  The "Internet Gods" don't make that determination here Bill, the USPTO does.
Besides there are NO "Internet Gods", there are only those that THINK they
are "Internet Gods"...

>  Would not all TLDs have to pass that test?

  No.  Not unless when they filed for a TM on that TLD they included in their
filing, a charter or some sort that is clear and fairly concise.

> If I
> went downstairs here and set up .cat as a TLD and told everyone in the
> world, like some are doing, that "tom.cat" would really be a cool domain
> name, please send money, would not the world in its entirety have to
> jump into their computers and adjust the routing so everything that comes
> into their shop would have to be set up so as to accommodate (i.e., route
> traffic to) that idiot lawyer out in Oregon?

  Depends on how you go about setting up your TLD.

> Where do I get the stones to try
> that? Don't the internet gods have something to say about which idiots get
> such treatment and which don't?

  I can't say where you might get the "Stones" as you put it, but no, the
"Internet Gods" to which you refer, which don't exist, have nothing
what so ever to say about it if it is announced and handled in a
responsible (Legal) manner.