Diane, most people call me Gordon.

Your desires as expressed below are noble enough.  But, you also appear
willing to extend Mike roberts, joe sims and the board a lot more trust
than, in my opinion, they merit.  With no transparency and no
accountability within ICANN, the board is being handed a membership
mechanism that looks to me, at least, to be extremely easy to manipulate.
Even ISOC charges dues of $40 a year.

Quite frankly when ICANN says it reserves the right to take up to a dollar
per domain name to pay its expenses, I cannot see how anyone could fret
about it operating at a deficit.

The internet has gotten where it is unencumbered by bureaucracies like
ICANN.  Hans Kranjenbrinnks legacy telco's best hope is for an ICANN
regulatory regime that can force the Qwests and L3s of the world to operate
at PTT and ITU speed rather than internet speed.

The CPSU had a nice democratic sounding consititution complete with all
necessary obesciences to the rights of the ordinary people to serve in the
highest levels of the ruling party bodies.  Stalin also had control of the
General Secretariat of the CPSU.  His hand picked henchmen allowed only
those to advances whose loyalty to Stalin was unquestioned.  If you trust
ICANN you can I am sure honestly believe you have done a good thing.  I
don't trust ICANN and believe that history can well show the dangers of
placing the trust that  you are espousing into the hands of an
unaccountable body.

>I support most of the MAC recommedations, Mr. Cook.  Not all of them, but
>most of
>them.  I want the At-large Membership to be a large, open, democratic
>body; not a
>selective, wealthy group.  I want any Internet user to be eligible to
>serve on the
>Board of ICANN, not just the people hand-picked by a Nominating Committee.  I
>think membership should be fee-based, but our study indicates that
>adjusting fees
>for developing nations ends up costing more than it brings in. No matter
>what,  I
>do not want to see an ICANN operating at a deficit.
>
>Diane Cabell
>MAC
The COOK Report on Internet          | New handbook just published:IP Insur-
431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA| gency & Transformation of Telecomm.See
(609) 882-2572 (phone & fax)         | http://cookreport.com/insurgency.html
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  | Index to 7 years of COOK Report, how to
subscribe, exec summaries, special reports, gloss at http://www.cookreport.com