> >> No definition of who are members and who are not? No exchange of
> >> dues for a certificate, even if only a card, giving me the rights of
> >> a member? No defined process for electing representatives of the
> >> membership to the organization's management? No, my friend. I don't
> >> play those games.

The rights of members are granted both by California law and by the corporate
bylaws.  They are not based on contract although the MAC may recommend a contract
as well for some issues that are not covered adequately by law, e.g., the use of
member personal data.

In addition, contracts do not require an exchange of money to be valid.  They can
be valid because of an exchange of promises or because of the behavior of the
parties. Members will get an ID code (under the MAC recommendation) and a clear
process for electing representatives has been proposed although we are still
working out details of a cumulative voting procedure.

Diane Cabell
MAC