From: Greg Skinner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 1999 1:21 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [IFWP] Announcement of the new TLD Association (TLDA)

Dr Eberhard W Lisse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Karl Auerbach wrote:

>> What is silly is the enormous brand name that NSI has been given,
as a
>> gift, by NSF and NTIA.

>> There is much merit in having disjoint registries.  Communities of
>> interest can admit only those who are willing to abide by certain
>> limitations -- a church might allow its registry system to include
>> only those who will promise not to allow porn sites.

>> I can hear the false wailing of those who will say "this would
split
>> the net".

>> Nonesense, it no more splits the net than the fact of multiple
>> publishers of telephone books splits the telephone system.

> It's just not going to happen like this, they are going to go with
the
> preconfigured root zones on their machines. Nobody in his right mind
> will load a Toy Level Domain.

I think that unless it's accompanied by a strong push to get ISPs and
other network access providers to adopt it, plus an extensive body of
literature documenting the movement, it's not likely to work.  Most
people use the existing roots because they are, for the most part,
reliable and stable.  However, if an organized group were able to
mobilize themselves and put together a competing root server system,
there is nothing NSI, ICANN, etc. can do to block it without
infringing on the rights of netizens to get their DNS service from
whoever they want in whatever ways they wish.

I also think that for most people, at first, the lack of consistency
introduced by disjoint registry systems will cause confusion that
would give the impression that the net was indeed split.  However, I
also think this could be overcome by documentation and education.  It
would have to be a strong, unified effort, and would not likely be
financially viable for several years.

- --gregbo