Esther Dyson wrote:

>Thanks for your comments.  AS noted, we have not yet decided what we will
>do. It indeed depends on public comments, among other things. But aside from
>our process, do you have any comments on the substance of the WIPO report?
>We would welcome those.
>
>Esther

Yes, ICANN has noted that it "will take appropriate action, which may
include seeking further comments on the recommendations, referring of
some or all of them to other ICANN entities, and/or adopting certain of
the recommendations." (http://www.icann.org/wipo/wipo.htm)

But the point is that this is a very voluminous report that will have
been published less than a month before the Berlin meeting. The
possibilty that the Interim Board would take action that could include
adopting certain of the recommendations was noted less than a month
before the Berlin meeting.

The individuals and companies that have been following this report
through the drafting process are in the best position to assimilate it
and provide comments on ICANN's schedule. But isn't the point of ICANN to
seek consensus from the larger Internet community? That kind of consensus
building takes longer than three weeks, and a fully constructed ICANN --
with three SOs and a General Membership -- will have the structure
necessary to reach that consensus.

I would ask that the Interim Board modify this announcement to take the
possibility of adopting WIPO recommendations off the table.

      -- Bret