Kerry and all,

  Nice post here Kerry.  Well done.  It is likely that many will
not gather all if the nuances that are contained with it
however.  Indeed this in unfortunate.  So I shall attempt to
put, in my response, a little different way of looking at it.
(See more below your comments)

Kerry Miller wrote:

> > Who enforces or guarantees this contract?
> >
>     I posited an interested buyer and a willing seller. Now, what kind
> of interest would it be that wouldnt cover taking delivery?  If you
> cant carry the heat, stay out of the chamber, one might say -- but
> this basic nobody-trusts-nobody commercial transation prevails
> across a good bit of the occupied portion of the earths surface, so
> lets call this the baseline, or the fundamental civilizing tendency.
>
> But (as youre just on the verge of pointing out Im sure), its a
> wearisome life, not to say nasty, brutish and short. So over the
> eons, a variation on the theme has emerged, called 'organization.'
> The sellers may organize to keep the shysters out, or the buyers
> to garner economies of scale, or (lo!) the middlemen, to keep the
> traffic flowing smoothly.

Middlemen, yes, commonly in other parlance's referred as the pivot
man in a circle jerk.  >;)  Pardon the reference here of course...
None the less middlemen serve a very useful and "Organization"
building function, that of as Kerry eludes to here as smoothing
the transaction out in many cases.

> Now this last organization is called
> 'government' when its approved of, mafia when its not, but their
> edge is 'controlling' the money supply (meaning they take a
> percentage whether it goes one way or the other) -- and their
> reciprocal responsibility is to enforce contracts *on behalf of* both
> the buyers and sellers.  Let's call this the *derivative level of social
> intercourse.

  It would appear the the ICANN would wish to eliminate this form of
social "Intercourse" as you put it and rather think of it as another form
of "Intercourse" that would require sufficient amounts of KY jelly
by which this "Act" could take place, not to mention most likely to
the ICANN anyway, being a bit uncomfortable...  >;)

> So the answer to your question depends on what stage of
> 'civilization' youre dealing with; my point re goodwill is that neither it
> nor any other quirk of the system we are used to can be taken for
> granted even in dirt-space, let alone on the net.  Certainly, it would
> be wonderful if easy credit was available by email, just as it is
> down on 3rd St, or if trademarks were respected just because
> trademarks *ought to be respected -- but if it doesnt happen, we
> cant just stamp our little feet and insist that there oughta be a law;
> we have to go back and see where the system came from:
> derivative structures simply arent worth much if the fundamentals
> crap out.

  Yes, once the instrument engaging in this form of "Intercourse"
it is likely that all sorts of "Crap" will be coming out.  >;)

> Seriously, if you dont care for the prospect of enforcing your own
> contracts among strangers, I recommend you pull together a group
> of trusted individuals, buyers and sellers, and build up a *practice
> of mutual defense/ recognition/ security/ communication/
> enforcement/ commerce.

  Exactly right.  And this is what we have now with what are
commonly called Laws.  But, there are those amongst the ICANNites
that feel these laws are not adequate and need "Special" assistance.
That assistance known now as ADR's, although extralegal and beyond the
financial reach of most small Internet business folks.  But no matter,
they are useful for the large business concerns in helping to maintain their
monopolist tendencies.