(Quiet period over :-)

At 07:37 PM 7/2/99 , James Love wrote:
>Pete Farmer wrote:
>> Can ICANN establish a fee on domain names to cover administration
>costs?
>> Yes -- that's within its charter.  Can ICANN impose a fee whose proceeds
>> would be used to bring Internet access to schools and libraries in
>> sub-Sahara Africa?  I don't think so -- it's clearly outside of ICANN's
>> charter.
>
>    What "charter" is that?  Becky Burr says after next year, ICANN
>will be a free agent.
>

>> It might "encourage" the governments to act in this way.  Possibly ICANN
>> could even play a role as significant as that of the National Conference of
>> Commissioners on Uniform State Laws, which draws up the Uniform Commercial
>> Code (UCC) in the US.  But the UCC isn't law unless the states decide to let
>> it be law.
>

>    Isn't the major power of ICANN related to control of the A root
>server,
>and the conditions that it can place on anyone who wants their domain
>identified?

Hi Jamie,

Today, this is true.

But ICANN will also have control over the
assignment of IP addresses, a much more
powerful point of control.

>    If it was impossible to replace the A root server, than this would
>give ICANN the power to anything it wanted.  If it is merely hard to
>replace the root, then it would have considerable power, but not
>unlimited.

While alternate roots are possible, there
is no simple work-around for IP addresses.
(not that alternate roots are simple, nor
even viable)

Bottom line, ICANN has been established to
take control over all Internet resources,
apparently by first wrestling control over
these resources from any existing claims.

- NSI will be first.
- Then the ccTLD registries.
- Then the regional IP registries.

Through a program of incrementalism, ICANN
has become the embodiment of our worst fears.
You know what they say about absolute power!

Respectfully,

Jay Fenello
President, Iperdome, Inc.    404-943-0524
What's your .per(sm)?   http://www.iperdome.com