On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 11:32:31PM -0400, Diane Cabell wrote:
[...]
> > >So they put up 200 nearly blank web pages.  How would you then define
> what is a
> > >legitimate use and what is not?
> >
> > Maybe putting up blank web pages would be enough -- I don't know,
> > and I don't think it really matters too much precisely what the
> > definition is.  We drive on the right side of the road.  They drive
> > on the left side in other places.
>
> If you don't define "use" any more than putting up a web page, then most
> cybersquatters will simply put up a blank page to fulfil the requirement of
> "use".  This doesn't seem to solve the problem of cybersquatting.

As I said, it doesn't matter that much to me -- the "nearly blank web
page" criterion was your strawman -- you can shoot it down or support
it, either way.  [It would catch, for example, the group that is
apparently trying to grab every three letter combination.]

The problem is trying to catch an intent.  My impression is that it
is fairly difficult to use "intent" in the law, but that it isn't
impossible.   Certainly shouldn't be any more difficult than trying
to define "perjury".

> > In any case, haven't there been cases already decided that made this
> > kind of distinction? Isn't there a famous case in England that shot
> > down people who were camping on domain names with the intent to sell?
> > While there are complex issues of judgement and law here, that is why
> > we have courts and juries, isn't it?
>
> There are plenty of cases evicting cybersquatters from domain registrations
> that are identical to (and lately also misspelled versions of) well-known
> trademarks or other protected names.  I haven't heard of any cybersquatter
> who has been evicted from registering non-protected names.
>
> >   Why not one-domain-per-customer?
>
> Works for me.

That was a misidentified quote from your preceeding message.  I
don't think it would work for me, to tell you the truth, but it
might depend on how you define "customer"...

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain