Jay,

Seems to me the problems are with constituencies generally, since they
can't be defined perfectly mutually exclusively, and a simple ban on same
entity participation across them would eliminate instances where it really
might make sense to have multiple participation--why ought a single
entrepreneur have to choose between an IDNO and the commercial
constituency?--while allowing organizations with multiple individuals to
assign them separately to each group anyway.  If the voting mechanisms for
names council rep were the same across constituencies I could see a rule
where someone only gets one vote and has to choose in which constituency to
place it.  So long as the constituencies aren't just working groups (in
which case it wouldn't be as controversial to have open participation) but
also elect names council members according to their own rules, there are
going to be problems.

Anyway, we seem to roughly agree here, except that you're more confident in
one particular constituency model (one not adopted by the board) than I am
in any of them.  You hold me to a high standard to ask that I have been
reading everything on IFWP and posting public displays of support (or not)
on each issue as it arises.  I can't meet that standard.  I saw the
presentation of a consensus document in Singapore (posted at
<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/singapore-0399/archive/DNSOdraft.html>),
  which certainly doesn't highlight the multiple representation issue so
learly.  Please, if you think I'm getting the history wrong, by all means
help me out instead of lobbing cheap shots that say I'm willfully ignoring
the truth for some evil end.  ...Jonathan