Diane Cabell wrote:
>Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 09:42:05 -0400
>From: Diane Cabell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: [IFWP] Why fail on purpose
>
>Joop's site is terrific.  It's very clever and easy to navigate.  It is a
very
>nice polling site. I estimate his cost for the three trips at around $4500.

Thank you Diane. You had a password, so you could go inside. Did you
actually vote and observe what happens?  You can still do so.

>Add the fact that it isn't just the votes that have to be authenticated
(the use
>of a password is already one of our recommendations); it's the initial
>registration that has to be authenticated.  Joop doesn't question who the
voter
>is or how many times/names the voter registrers under so ICANN expects to
do that
>by postal mail.

Actually our whole voters' roll has been authenticated by the membership
committee.
This was the main reason for the delay with our election. It took time to
verify all members' domains.
The unique passwords are generated by the system. It is very easy to
generate new passwords for every election to increase security.

Nobody else can vote (at least not on the items that are not "open to all"
or open to a group-password) and nobody can vote more than once on any
passworded topic.

Add secured servers and backend software to merge mailings and
>personnel costs to do mailings, tech support, answer member questions, etc.
>Please, folks, the MAC put in a lot of time looking at various gruesome
details
>that you're not taking into account.

I still believe that dishonesty of the voters is not the central problem
and that web based voting can easily be audited after an election in case
the results are challenged.

--Joop Teernstra LL.M.--  , bootstrap  of
the Cyberspace Association,
the constituency for Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org