At 11:20 PM 7/18/99 -0400, you wrote:

>Bill, you miss the point.  Your ISP (europa.com) told you to set your DNS
>server entries to some specific addresses when you signed up.  Those
>arbitrary entries are set within your computer's settings, and have little
>to do with what ISP you are using.

I certainly did. I've been assuming that those entries went to europa.com's
NEXT
level echelon (which used to be RainNet), and then THEY did the DNS bit, in
the
same way that I used to select from europa's list of newsgroups (before
learning
that life is too short to read any of them).

>If you are using a Microsoft product, you have the choice to add whatever
>DNS servers you choose.  Most *people* (not consumers) simply blindly put
>the entries as provided by their ISP.  You have the choice, however, as to
>where you point.  Again, it is a *marketing* issue - you are not aware of
>how simple it is to do, and no *marketing* has been done to inform you as
>to how it can be done.

I'm a Netscape type, and avoid Microsoft as much as I can in the face of
its monopoly (seekers after alternative roots, etc., should understand the
feeling).

>It is an easy thing to demonstrate.  Many users on this list are already
>doing it.

Gene: Later this week when I have time, I'll send you what I have for DNS
right now and maybe you'd be good enough to tell me what they are. ?
:-)

Bill