At 11:17 AM 7/18/99 , Diane Cabell wrote:
>Jay Fenello wrote:
>
>> At 09:47 AM 7/15/99 , Diane Cabell wrote:
>> >How would the registrar's agreement have any impact on the name
>> >servers?
>>
>> As I understand it . . .
>>
>> If ICANN gets its way, every registrant
>> receiving a domain name will have to agree
>> to the terms specified in the registrar's
>> agreement.
>>
>> Within that registrar's agreement, the
>> registrant must agree in advance to any
>> policies implemented by ICANN.
>>
>> You must have a domain name to run a
>> name server.
>
>Aha. Thanks for taking the time to explain that link.
>
>> Consequently, ICANN will have the power
>> to set the terms and conditions under
>> which a name server's domain name will
>> exist.
>>
>> These "flow down" contracts are the
>> essence of a strict REGULATORY regime
>> that will not only affect name servers,
>> but virtually every aspect of the entire,
>> world-wide Internet.
>
>Yes.  They certainly have that potential.  What happens if the name
>server owners band together and say "Stuff it"?

Every scenario that I can envision (rewriting
BIND, alternate roots, etc), will result in a
fractured name space.

And given the consolidation that has occurred
within the ISP community, a handful of large
ISPs (AOL, AT&T, IBM, MCI, etc.) can make the
success of such a route around virtually
impossible.

>> Pretty scary, if you ask me!
>
>It is very scary.  I've been counting on having a vote for the Board of
>any such organization and using that as a rein on outrageous behavior.
>You don't think that will be sufficient, I take it?

Not at this point :-(

Respectfully,

Jay Fenello
President, Iperdome, Inc.    404-943-0524
What's your .per(sm)?   http://www.iperdome.com