At 05:26 PM 7/23/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Karl,
>
>Very good document, indeed.
>
>Let me state my POV on subject #2 (I have objections also on #1, but as this
>has been discussed several times, all readers know where our positions
>differ, and there's no need to bore them with another thread).
>
>I have nothing in principle against multiple roots, I just fail to
>understand how this could be a better system than a common root under public
>trust.

Simple. That's unstable. Not everybody wants it, so, it'll be supplanted
and will be the "government controlled, TM controlled root that knows about
a few new tlds".

We've been through this before in the Usenet namespace. When the
Alt.* groups were created, there was hue and cry "it's not part of
usenset... corporate management will never let is pass those groups
through here... death of usenet predicted"

Originally alt hed very spotty distribution as it was "outside
the system", but, poeple simply persevered. Reid snuck alt into
decwrl and within a couple of years it was everywhere. Try selling
news access and nt carrying alt. You'll lose customers to the
place across the infohighway that does.

Back 3 or 4 years ago when the IAHC crew kept staying IANA had
authority over the root, period, people used to say "the emperor
has no clothes!", and with ICANN doing the the things it's doing
it makes my job so much easier; the emperor not only has no
clothes, he's drunk and utterly strak raving mad.

It's going better than I'd expected.

--
Richard Sexton  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  | http://dns.vrx.net/tech/rootzone
http://killifish.vrx.net    http://www.mbz.org    http://lists.aquaria.net