This problem also vanishes with even a
moderate amount of competition.  Assume
for a moment that the name space allowed
a diversity of business models, and a
much broader distribution of TLDs.

Then, a .law that is poorly run, will
not be able to compete with a .legal
that is.  There are many such permutations
possible, and as long as they are not all
owned by the same entity, or forced to
adhere to the same policies, competition
will result in better, faster, cheaper,
etc.

Regulation under ICANN will result in
one registry business model for everyone,
take it or leave it :-(

Jay.

At 06:20 PM 7/23/99 , Rob Raisch wrote:
>Bill Lovell wrote:
>> I'll admit to having a problem with gTLDs: .web is fine, but someone
>> was posing the case in which an attorney wanted "something.law,"
>> but the folks owning .law charge too much, are incompetent, etc.
>
>This problem vanishes if we demand an administrative infrastructure that
>explicitly supports registrars providing customer service to registrants,
>irrespective of TLD.  In other words, I want to register in *.foo?  I go to
>ANY registrar, or the one with which I have a strong previous relationship,
>or have heard good things about, etc.  This is what competition is all
>about.
>
>TLDs cannot be treated as property or if someone wishes to treat them as
>such, they should be required to protect their intellectual property rights
>in a court of law, not through administrative fiat imposed through arbitrary
>totalitarian control.
>
>--
>Rob Raisch CTO - RivalWorks, Inc. <http://www.rivalworks.com>
>Who do you want to play today?

Respectfully,

Jay Fenello
President, Iperdome, Inc.    404-943-0524
What's your .per(sm)?   http://www.iperdome.com