>Perhaps some people believe that.  But the language of the document is
>very clear - NSI was to perform a service, there were standards by which
>the performance of that service was measured, there was a fee paid for the
>performance of that service, and there is an explict provision for the
>transfer of materials

"a" transfer of metarials or "the" transfer of materials. I'd always
understoof they wanted to be able to get a copy of the data so no
matter what happebed to the company doing the worl, they had an
obligation to preserve a dataset and as proof deliver it to the
nsf if asked. The NSF had to ask though, and my opinion is NSF
is resonably happy with what it sees as it's creation of an
industry having discharged it's role to commercialize USG
R&D efforts.

usual disclaimer: not a lawyer, just my opinions

--
Richard Sexton  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  | http://dns.vrx.net/tech/rootzone
http://killifish.vrx.net    http://www.mbz.org    http://lists.aquaria.net