Date sent:              Wed, 28 Jul 1999 15:58:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:                   "Emilie Nichols" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:                What Happened to Political Power?  It's Gone Somewhere Else.

"All the power has gone somewhere else," he said. "Its gone to NATO, to
Brussels, its gone to the World Trade Organization, its gone to Bill
Gates and Rupert Murdoch, to people who never got elected, and so we're
in a situation where we're far from Parliament or Congress being there
to protect people from the external powers, i.e., to control the
economy in the interest of the people. Parliament is now there to
control the people in the interests of the economy."

--Tony Benn, MP, as quoted in the July 24, 1999, New York Times