Always a pleasure to receive a post from you, Sir Jeff, and I thank you for the
unmerited comparison with the eminent Mr Crocker, whose tersity I have unfortunately
yet to emulate.

In fact I was trying to get Mr Dixon to put some more of his cogent prose online,
while also trying to point out that 'Europe', for better or worse, is run by lawyers
not engineers and some sort of compromise might be more advisable than his suggested
solution where they all die out like the dinosaurs. Scenarios of that nature, even if
true, create certain resistance. Rhetoric included a trope called metaphor, I recall,
not necessarily invalidating its logical component.

On topic, I recollect that Chuck Gomes has very comprehensive figures on a country
basis for registrations up to 1998. Were he or NSI to make these available to the
list, it would illuminate the argument. I remember the levels of NSI sales as being
surprisingly small, in fact the discussion centred on how to increase them. Vend
rates of 5-15% against the relevant ccTLD were the norm. I have no idea whether they
were correct or not, presumably someone else could find them if NSI can't

One can only hope that the beleaguered marketing effort NSI belatedly put into action
had been assisted by the consciousness-raising ICANN and the US political classes
have engaged in on their behalf. One muses whether NSI can use their peculiar
political antennae to recruit the European equivalents to their cause in the same
way. What else have the poor bureaucrats of the variegated DG's to do?  I appreciate
Roberto Gaetano's efforts elsewhere to recruit the atomic energy regulators,
presumably the power boys behind the secret .bomb,  but I digress needlessly into the
Alice-in-Wonderland nature of this discussion....