At 08:10 AM 8/12/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Gordon Cook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Nick Patience wrote:

No I didn't, so don't attribute this to me. Gordon wrote the paragraph
starting "If they want a comment from me..."

All I said was that there was a comment facility on the ZD site and I was
suprised, at that stage that it was still empty, but now, of course it is not.

But just for the record, I do realize this subject is complicated :)

Nick

>>If they want a comment from me they can cut and paste jay fenellos
>>first internet civil way item in the comment space,  or they can have
>>the following from an earlier private message this morning.  As you
>>know Nick, this issue is bloody complicated and not amenable to the
>>simplistic treatment barret would like to whitewash it with.
>
>Actually the issue isn't "complicated" it's just that it has
>to be treated openly and honestly and with a studied approach.
>
>The problem is more that control over the Internet is at stake
>and thus there are those interests out to grab for themselves
>all they can get, rather than having any concern with the
>Internet and its users.
>
>The real issue underlying all this is that the essential functions
>of the Internet like the domain name system, IP numbers, protocols,
>etc are just those functions, that not only are a form of
>centralized control over the Internet and its users, they are
>also just those functions that are crucial to the scaling and
>growth of the Internet. They need to be handled with the greatest
>protection and scientific judgement, rather than by any of the
>conflict of interest maneuvers of the so called "market".
>
>They have been under the control of the public and that's where they
>belong. ICANN is *not* the public, but an ill conceived and
>fraudulent entity created to take ownership and control of
>these essential functions away from the public and to put
>it into the hands of an irresponsible entity.
>
>The essential functions of the Internet have to be under the
>ownership and control of a public entity, and one where the
>scientific concerns for the functioning of the Internet are
>in control, rather than some short term private interest
>concerns.
>

>>comment
>
>>if the internet is to be homogenized or globalized under uniform laws
>>and controls, let it be done openly and honestly and NOT under the
>>guise of setting up ICANN to bring competition into dns and protect
>>us from evil NSI...... although I must say i have become almost as
>>disgusted with the absence of apparent leadership from Jim Rutt at
>>NSI as with Esther and Mike.
>
>The Internet needs standards to function - so to talk about it
>being "homogenized or globalized" fails to look at what makes
>it possible for it to function.
>
>According to such views, it would have been impossible to have
>ever created the Internet. But it wasn't *impossible* at all.
>
>And the Internet spread. So there are principles that the Internet
>represents and helps spread that are the kind of principles that
>are needed, and they aren't "uniform laws and controls".
>
>But these have to do with the Internet primarily as a communication
>medium, and with other functions such as commerce, or education,
>or medical uses all in the framework of it as a communication
>medium.

> [...]

Nick Patience
Internet Editor, ComputerWire Inc
T: 212 677 0409 x18 F: 212 677 0463