The various interesting personalities on the lists have made me
suspicious over the years, and the apparent interplay from the two Jeff's
(I filter them both, so I only see this indirectly) got me
wondering, and about two weeks ago I did a little investigating.

On Aug 15 I sent a message to several friends, under the subject:
"fun with conspiracy theories", describing what I found.  This has
been a game for some time, as you will see.

"Jeff Mason" had referred to various items at http://www.pccf.net.

But at the top level, http://www.pccf.net, the only thing that showed
at the time (two weeks ago) was a single, non-html text line that
said:

  WIP = PCCF.NET = [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Very strange.  I expected to be fixed quickly, so I sent email to
about 50 people so they could verify it before it disappeared.  Sure
enough, the single text line has now been replaced with a "test
pattern".

Whois on pccf.net shows

   Planet Communications Computing Facility (PCCF3-DOM)
   498 Gladstone Ave.#1
   Ottawa, ON K1R5N8
   CANADA
   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      Hostmaster  (HO3226-ORG)  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      0-000-000-0000
Fax- 0-000-000-0000
   Billing Contact:
      Fanego, Francis  (FF1156)  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      613-230-1466 (FAX) 613-230-5352

Domain servers in listed order:

   NS1.VRX.NET                  199.166.24.1 204.138.71.254
   NS1.DIEBOLD.NET              205.189.73.10

vrx.net -- Richard Sexton (who needs no introduction)

diebold.net <--> diebold.com -- Gene Marsh (the head of the
prospective "prospective gTLDs constituency", the one that NSI
designated Richard Sexton to represent in the NC meetings.)

Whois on Francis Fanego shows:

$ whois FF1156
Fanego, Francis (FF1156)                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Rose FX
   498 Gladstone Ave.#1
   Ottawa, On K1R5N8
   CA

Exactly the same address as "Planet Communications Computing Facility"

"Jeff Mason's" email provider is earth-net.net.  earth-net.net,
however, appears to be yet another enterprise linked to richard
sexton.  Note that altavista.net is a free email hosting service, and
note the phone numbers.  The DNS servers, of course, are Richard
Sexton's:

$ whois earth-net.net
[rs.internic.net]

Registrant:
Earth-Nexus Internet Services (EARTH-NET5-DOM)
   550 South First Street
   San Jose, CA 95113
   US
   Domain Name: EARTH-NET.NET

   Administrative Contact:
      Network Information Officer  (NI76-ORG)  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      0-000-000-0000
 Fax- 0-000-000-0000
   Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      Hunt, John  (HJ818-ORG)  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      0-000-000-0000
 Fax- 0-000-000-0000
   Billing Contact:
      Hunt, John  (JH23622)  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      0-000-000-0000 (FAX) 0-000-000-0000

   Record last updated on 21-Apr-99.
   Record created on 25-Apr-98.
   Database last updated on 14-Aug-99 04:04:43 EDT.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   NS1.VRX.NET                  199.166.24.1 204.138.71.254
   NS3.VRX.NET                  199.166.24.3

It's quite odd that a company that makes the claims it does on their
web site (www.earth-net.net) does not manage their own DNS.

Interestingly enough, "John Hunt" sent a query to the
poc-submit list about a year ago, asking some rather strange
questions and providing verifiably bogus identification information.
Here's a message from Bob Shaw replying to "John Hunt":

> From: Robert Shaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 09:33:35 +0200
> To: John Hunt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Subject: Re: IAHC TLD's
>
> John Hunt wrote:
> >
> > Hello:
> >
> > We are conducting research into existing and claimed TLD's for the
> > IFWP/IANA-2.
>
> Neither the IFWP nor IANA-2 are doing such research or requested such
> research.
>
> Robert

This exchange continued, with "Hunt" claiming to be working for the
IFWP, and the POC/PABers getting more and more suspicious, down to
the point where "Hunt" said "I type, therefore I am", and stopped
responding.

Here's whois on "Hunt":

$ whois JH23622
[rs.internic.net]
Hunt, John (JH23622)            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Earth Network Information Center
   273 Charlotte Street
   Peterborough, ON K9J 2V2
   CA
   0-000-000-0000 (FAX) 0-000-000-0000

   Record last updated on 21-Apr-99.
   Database last updated on 14-Aug-99 04:04:43 EDT.

Interestingly enough, iciiu.org was also using nameservers from vrx
at one point, though that has changed, and the only reference I have
is one of Bob Shaws notes, again:

> From: Robert Shaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 13:10:29 +0200
> To: Kent Crispin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> CC: POC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: More subterfuge...
>
> Kent,
>
> Do a whois on iciiu.org - remember this character,
> Michael Sondow? Sexton again...

One has to wonder who pays for all this?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain