On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Pete Farmer wrote:

> On Friday, September 10, 1999, Gordon Cook [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> concluded that:
>
> >...in fact a collapse of ICANN will best serve those
> >interested in the continued operation of an Internet
> >whose doors are not closed to entrepreneurs and innovators.
>
> I don't share Mr. Cook's confidence in being able to predict the future.
>
> Even if ICANN disappears, the issues that led to its creation are still
> there, including

I think it's still possible to work within the icann framework.  The only
problem with icann is how it's been managed to date.

> - No competition in domain name registration.
> - Expensive and cumbersome mechanisms for resolving conflicts between
> trademark holders and domain name holders.
> - An unmet need of Internet users outside of the U.S. to help determine
> domain name issues.
> - No process for adding new top-level domains.
>
> If ICANN gets knocked off, something will rise to take its place.  What will
> it be?  Will it be better than ICANN or worse?

Does it really matter - as long as the majority agree to it.  If ICANN
fails we should look at it as an opportunity to rebuild, and be prepaired
for it.

> Or if nothing fills the void, how will the issues be addressed?
>
> And if government(s) rose to fill this vacuum, would we end up satisfied
> with the outcome?

Governments did not build the net - but they could do alot of damage to
it and themselves.

Cheers
Joe Baptista

--
Planet Communication & Computing Facility           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Public Access Internet Research Publisher           1 (212) 894-3704 ext. 1033