On Friday, September 10, 1999, Gordon Cook [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
concluded that:

>...in fact a collapse of ICANN will best serve those
>interested in the continued operation of an Internet
>whose doors are not closed to entrepreneurs and innovators.

I don't share Mr. Cook's confidence in being able to predict the future.

Even if ICANN disappears, the issues that led to its creation are still
there, including

- No competition in domain name registration.
- Expensive and cumbersome mechanisms for resolving conflicts between
trademark holders and domain name holders.
- An unmet need of Internet users outside of the U.S. to help determine
domain name issues.
- No process for adding new top-level domains.

If ICANN gets knocked off, something will rise to take its place.  What will
it be?  Will it be better than ICANN or worse?

Or if nothing fills the void, how will the issues be addressed?

And if government(s) rose to fill this vacuum, would we end up satisfied
with the outcome?

Pete Farmer
Peter J. Farmer -- Director, Optical Communications
Strategies Unlimited  http://www.strategies-u.com
Mountain View, CA
+1 650 941-3438 (voice)
+1 650 464-1243 (mobile & voice mail)