"J. Baptista" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Incorrect, the NSI - RBL (MAPS) situation is a clear indication Vixie is
> well outside his range.  He made an arbitrary decision which would of
> affected the business interests of NSI, by declareing thier communication
> with internic contacts to be spam.  Vixie got a nice earful from his legal
> advisors  and I feel confident he now knows that to do that sort of thing
> is wrong.

True, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make.  I was referring
to other people's willingness to install RBL filters, especially at
the ISP level, which would affect all of the ISP's users.

> The problem is his power to do it.  He's making judicial decisions on
> contractual obligations between parties.  He knows now from his legal
> begals that he can get his fair share of paddy wacks for being
> naughty.

Again, not the point I was trying to make.  He has no power to force
an ISP to install an RBL filter.  The ISPs who do so believe this is
the right thing to do.

> Well there you go.  So much for activisim.  If he wants to pay the
> bridge toll he's gotta do the appropriate brown nosing.  Completely
> understandable, completely acceptable, but under no circumstances is
> he an activist.  More of a yes man.

I said he can be an activist for some issues.  Also, I think that a
position most large companies might take would be anti-spam, but pro
DNS stability (thus pro-ICANN).  So it's not necessarily hypocritical
of him to take money from large companies to distribute bind with the
IANA root servers in root.cache.

--gregbo