More censored reporter stuff.  Good for discussion.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 13:25:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: !Dr. Joe Baptista <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <CENSORED>
Subject: Re: reporter query

On Thu, 18 May 2000, <CENSORED> wrote:

> Just some general questions if you can spare a few
> moments.
>
> Why a ".god" registry? Who do you envision using the
> domain name? What might be the marketing advantages of
> having a .god web site?

To date we've had various requests for registration.  Everything from Joe
Average (if there is such a creature) to net kooks and other ministries.

dot.god was not an arbitrary nor planned decision.  The registry is a
natural extension of an internal network naming practice employed by our
Ministry since 1996.  Machine (computers) which works were assigned
dot.god host names.  Machines which were buggy were assigned to the top
level domain dot.satan.

The only marketing advantage I can see is that the dictionary term
"god" has had over 5,000 years of comprehensive marketing efforts by
various organizations - so it's well known.  Will it be of any marketing
advantage to a web site?  I don't know and our position is that we frankly
don't really care.

At this time we are developing policy for the registry and one of our
decisions is to release the tld to the domain holders when membership
levels are sustainable.  I can't give you a figure on that level, at this
time were asking for opinions from the domain name industry.

> We cover marketing in the new media, and I wonder in
> general about the ecommerce implication of the .god
> domain.

It may have some benifits in ecommerce, I just don't know what they would
be.  Sensationalism - maybe?  I think it's more of a fun tld and certainly
qualifies as a vanity tld.

I have attached a copy of my original announcement on dot.god.  You'll
notice it's more of an informal request for comments.  Please don't
publish the web address.  It was an accident it was published.  That
address is just for testing - the registry is being opened on another
machine.

Regards
Joe Baptista