Looks like alot of weirdness in the roots today - not only is the root SOA
broken - I assume NSI is responsible - and this is an internet first - a
misconfigured soa for the United States Government roots - maybe I'm in
error here and SOA can be displayed - if I am please advise - but this
root SOA breaks the rules and could result in error.

Also - I did a whois on the roots .. and got two different results.  First
it told me the root whois server was run by the german telephone
company.  I did another whois and got the correct results.

   Domain Name: ROOT-SERVERS.NET
   Registrar: DEUTSCHE TELEKOM AG
   Whois Server: whois.t-registrar.de
   Referral URL: www.t-registrar.de
   Name Server: RUBY.AR51.NET
   Name Server: NS.RIPE.NET
   Name Server: RS0.INTERNIC.NET
   Name Server: NS-EXT.VIX.COM
   Updated Date: 03-jul-2000
>>> Last update of whois database: Fri, 28 Jul 00 03:18:25 EDT <<<

when I attempted to look up the roots via the german telephone company
whois at whois.t-registrar.de - it didn't work.  Host not found - which
see

;; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> whois.t-registrar.de
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      whois.t-registrar.de, type = A, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
t-registrar.de.  2h59m37s IN SOA pns.dtag.de. dnsadmin.nic.dtag.de. (

I did another whois and got the correct results from nsi - think things
are buggey with the whois.

   Domain Name: ROOT-SERVERS.NET
   Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
   Referral URL: www.networksolutions.com
   Name Server: NS.ISI.EDU
   Name Server: NS.RIPE.NET
   Name Server: RS0.INTERNIC.NET
   Name Server: NS-EXT.VIX.COM
   Updated Date: 03-jul-2000
>>> Last update of whois database: Fri, 28 Jul 00 03:18:25 EDT <<<

The .com zone is also broken - it SOA is even worst - complete
misconfiguration

com.  1D IN SOA A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET. zone\@nsiregistry.net.com. (

if we are to believe this soa - email is to be forwarded to the following
company

Network Equipment Technologies, Inc. (NET-DOM1)
   6500 Paseo Padre Parkway
   Fremont, CA 94555
   US

   Domain Name: NET.COM

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact, Billing
Contact:
      NET hostmaster  (NH43-ORG)  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      Network Equipment Technologies, Inc.
      6500 Paseo Padre Parkway
      Fremont, CA 94555
      US