On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 11:12:32PM -0400, Curtis E. Sahakian wrote:
[...]
> My understanding was that your staff was hoping that no more
> than 10,000 people would register.

The staff wasn't "hoping" any such thing.  The number 5000 was generated
after input from the membership advisory committee on the minimum number
necessary to get reasonable representation, avoid certain kinds of
capture etc.  The Board was widely criticized for setting the number too
large, because *many* people thought it impossible that 5000 people
would sign up.  ICANN was accused of cynically setting the number way
too high, so that an election would never be held.  Damned if you do,
and damned if you don't.

>  The internet is a big place.
>  I would propose that you should find it unacceptable if your
> staff is unable to generate at least 1,000,000 registrations.

Gee -- that's a great idea.  I would propose that you just write a check
to ICANN for $1,000,000 to cover the cost of postage and handling for
the 1,000,000 PIN letters, OK?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain