Esther Dyson wrote (in response to Curtis E. Sahakian):

> You ask what "excuse" we have. We have a reason: The site is overloaded; we
> are getting a much bigger response than we expected. The ICANN staff is
> doing what it can to handle the unexpected damand.  We have tuned the system
> to work much better than it did, but it is still overwhelmed....

> Please think hard before comparing this to the south, where marshals
> *selectively* turned away blacks.  We are not turning away particular groups
> of people; our system is simply rejecting attempts randomly.  This is more
> like a traffic jam with too-small roads, not any kind of selection process
> or discrimination.

Just as an observation, access to the rest of the members.icann.org site
does not seem to be affected.  The bottlenecks are the submission pages.
What seems to be happening lately is the server is giving back "internal
error" messages for these pages.

Some performance improvements should be realized by upgrading to a later
version of apache and using php instead of cgi.

--gregbo