>Database overload doesn't imply anything at all about descernible "hard
>limits".  Here's a scenario:
>
>If all the database accesses complete on average in less than the
>arrival time of requests, then everything is cool.  However, knowing
>those averages is very difficult: 1) the database accesses vary with the
>different kinds of incoming requests; 2) the database accesses interact
>with each other -- have to lock access to certain items, but not to
>others (a difficult to analyze interaction); 3) the number of
>simultaneously active processes varies considerably, because you have
>multiple instantiations of the web server, cgi scripts, subsidiary
>processes called by the scripts, and so on, and this impacts the overall
>load average on the system.

Um, dont you tweak the number of concurrent webserver child processes
to it can't exceed it's capacity?

Course... if we had this discussion before, not after it went live
it might have made a difference.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                               http://ph-1.613.473.1719

"The truth is always hard. The only truly punishable offense in
Washington is to tell the truth. You will get along in Washington
better by lying one way or the other. If you tell the truth you
are unlikely to be forgiven."
- Prof. Angelo Codevilla, The Washington Weekly, July 17 2000