Hey everyone

1.  Juliana Gruenwald just wrote an article on ICANN on page 12 of the September 18,
2000 issue of Interactive Week.  You can also read it here:
http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2628751,00.html

We are getting some good coverage on this issue.  Unfortunately she missed some
important points
     (a)  She didn't report on who the real ICANN member/shareholders are.  Those are
the people who get to vote for the people who appoint the 10 non-elective positions.
We never hear about these member/shareholders.
     (b)  She didn't explain how the 5 "elective positions" can be eliminated at the
election of the 10 appointed members.
     (c)  She didn't discuss how it is that even the "pseudo members" number only
76,000 (out of hundreds of millions of internet users) because of the electronic
equivalent of the games played by Southern Politicians in the 50s to keep discourage
black voter registration.

2.  In the same issue, there is an article about how NSI is squatting on 1,000,000
expired domain names.  http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2628748,00.html

3.  You know its pretty foolish that ICANN is unable to conduct a vote without using
paper and is using that as a rational to keeping the pseudo membership so low.

Would anyone be interested in running our own open election outside of ICANN and
presenting ICANN real voting members 15 a board of 15 freely elected board members to
either accept or reject?  They would reject such a board, but then we could take this
board to the applicable congressional committee and ask them for help.

It would sort of like be conducting a shadow vote in Serbia, Peru, Nigeria, or Iraq,
then showing up to take office.  Only it  might be that there would be a congressional
committee to supply some adult supervision.

You know, ICANN, NSI, what's the difference?   What is it about the internet that
brings out the passive aggressive worst in people?  Not enough eye contact?

Anyway, there are several internet companies in the business of conducting votes over
the internet.  I bet they could conduct a vote without having to rely on snail mail as
ICANN does (the concept of ICANN using land mail to conduct an election just continue
to amaze me).

Any volunteers to stir the pot on this?  Does anyone know who these internet voting
companies are?  I've read of them.  I think they are all located in the Washington DC
area.  Does any of you know anyone at any of these companies?

4.  Here is a collection of resources for anyone who wants to learn more about ICANN
vs. Internet Democracy.
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/full_coverage/tech/domain_names_and_registration/ (100s of
articles written by reporters who've been covering these issues)
http://www.icann.org  (ICANN's Web Site)
http://www.ais.org/~ronda/new.papers/gao-icann/DNS-Proposal.txt
http://umcc.ais.org/~ronda/ (background on the development of the Internet and the
role of the government)
http://www.domainhandbook.com/toc.html
http://www.iciiu.org/ (International Congress of Independent Internet Users)
http://www.domainnotes.com/
http://www.eff.org/ (electronic Frontier Foundation - the ACLU of the Internet)

5.  Please pass this email along to anyone who might want to be added to the
distribution list.

Curtis Sahakian
1-847-676-2774