On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Adam Piasecki
<apiase...@midatlanticbb.com> wrote:

> 1) Windows has TRIM support for ware-leveling. Does FreeBSD include this?

I can't speak to FreeBSD, but pfsense does not as of 2.0

> 2) If 8.1 does not support ware-leveling, would it be recommend that we not
> use SSD for pfSense until it does?

Don't conflate TRIM with wear levelling. TRIM must be supported and
enabled in the OS and the drive to work, while wear levelling is
implemented by the drive independent of the OS. While wear levelling
is designed to extend the life of solid-state storage, TRIM will
actually shorten it (by way of increased write amplification) for the
sake of preserving like-new performance.

The down side of having TRIM support in pfsense is the gradual
degradation of IO performance in the drive, which can be mitigated
somewhat by garbage collection and spare area. See some of the many
excellent SSD articles on anandtech.com for Anand's recommendations on
which drives will maintain their performance better on non-TRIM
platforms.

db