On 4/21/12 12:43 PM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 19:35, Mehma Sarja <mehmasa...@gmail.com <mailto:mehmasa...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    I am having an issue getting a Huawei 3G+ GSM USB(MF192 HSPA)
    modem to work on either a pf 2.1 box. I'd like to be able to ssh in.

    The location's Internet is via a Dlink DIR-412 router hosting a
    Huawei USB modem(huawei cdma ec122). The double NATting is making
    for a very effective firewall and I cannot ssh in.

    I believe these devices are configured to present themselves as a
    usb drive first and a windows executable auto runs and configures
    the modem and turns the device into a modem. There is a way to
    turn this off and use it under *nix. Is there 3G+ modem card
    someone can recommend and a reliable source?

@Mehma,

MF192 is a ZTE modem, not Huawei.

That said, I will tell you that I'd rather a Huawei modem than a ZTE, because ZTE are opaque with their AT command set.

Anyway, if you cannot afford a Huawei E160 (I know they went missing in our market), then maybe the expensive Huawei E1820 will do? No, I know you want to save on expenses.

So try this on MF192 (I was given the string by a mole I have inside ZTE, but because I am unwilling to buy Orange credit, I never quite got round to testing it).

To disable the virtual CD-ROM so that the modem only presents itself as a modem, try the following AT commands from hyperterminal:

at
OK
at%usbmodem?
%USBMODEM: 1

OK
*at%usbmodem=0*
%USBMODEM: [1] CD DRIVER

PS: I still believe you can get someone to find a Huawei E160... even 2nd hand. It's guaranteed to work if the ZTE refuses. I recall I proved to you that Huawei works, and recommended it, right? Maybe all that work I did was not useful for you.

Hello again Washington,

My work with the Siaya site has been technically spotty and the daylight savings time change made our 10 pm their 8 am. It used to be 9 pm. That has caused me to miss many staff meetings. To make matters worse, a few weeks ago there was a ship off the coast of Kenya which severed some fiber optic lines and took down the telecommunications link to the country. Ever since then, I have only been able to talk to a Kenyan cell phone ONCE.

Your efforts are very much appreciated and may yield good results when we try them out. And we will do so. I'll report back to this list on my findings. And thanks for the AT commands - so, we put the modem on a Windows machine and try the Hyperterminal settings and then connect it to a BSD box?

Mehma