Hi all,

I'm testing pfSense for a client, looking to put it into an existing
production network some time in the next month or two.  (Some background
at [1], if anyone cares...)  In terms of features and interface it is a
win, but we're having massive problems with stability that seem to be
related to the NIC driver for Broadcom bce cards.

pfSense version: 2.0.1 amd64, one additional package installed: OpenOSPFd

Server hardware: IBM x3550, Xeon E5405 2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 2 x 300 GB 10K
RPM SAS HD in hardware RAID 1, 2 x Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708
1000Base-T (B2)

The basic symptom of the problem is that the box stops responding to
ping and SNMP, and sometimes HTTP/S, after about 4 hours.  Some graphs
from our NMS showing this can be found at [2] and [3].

When this happens, the console is still fully operational, and i can log
in and do normal shell stuff, including looking at the logs.  There's
corruption at the end of each syslog file (see [4], [5], and [6]).  The
firewall itself can ping out [7], but apinger thinks that the LAN
gateway is dead [5] even though our smokeping installation says that
it's fine [8].

Thanks to databeestje on the ##pfsense IRC channel, who pointed me to
the wiki instructions for NIC troubleshooting [9].  I tried the first
set of boot loader parameters last night.  The result of this was that
ping & SNMP still stopped after about 4 hours, but HTTP was still OK
this morning.  I've implemented the parameters in the "Packet loss with
many (small) UDP packets" section this morning, and the system is still
up, but we're only just getting up to the 5 hour mark, and one of the
crashes was after about 12 hours.

Hope that all makes sense.  My gut/experience tells me this is a NIC
driver bug/deficiency.  This hardware is 100% stable on Linux, but there
really aren't any Linux distributions that will do what we want without
some customisation, so the client would prefer to get pfSense working.
Any suggestions on where to go next?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

[1] http://libertysys.com.au/content/experimenting-with-pfsense