On 29/06/12 14:26, David Burgess wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM, Paul Gear <p...@gear.dyndns.org> wrote:
>>
>> What should be my next troubleshooting step?

Hi David,

> memtest?

I ran a firmware/BIOS upgrade and followed that with a full (successful)
memtest before installing pfSense.

> Different NICs?

I don't really have any other suitable ones at my disposal.  I can
probably ask the client to buy one, but i have 5 of these servers and i
really would rather not buy extra NICs for all of them.

Would i be better off virtualising this system on VMware?  That way i
could handle all the VLAN tagging in the hypervisor, and the NIC
presented to the system would be an Intel E1000 instead of a Broadcom.
The VMware ESXi 5 and Linux drivers for these NICs are rock-solid in my
experience.

> Have you looked at your MBUF usage (netstat -m)?

My netstat -m output is shown below.  It's not even close to the limits.
 Keep in mind that this is just a test system.  There is no traffic
going through it.  Except for my initial configuration on Tuesday,
basically nothing has been done to the box except for ping & SNMP from
our NMS.

> I get similar
> symptoms after running out of MBUFs, but if you followed the first
> step in the doc you linked then you should have plenty. I use
> "kern.ipc.nmbclusters="131072"" here and it takes me ~130 days to top
> out, but YMMV.

Are you saying that you regularly run out of MBUFs and are forced to
reboot when you do?

Regards,
Paul

----- 8< -----

$ netstat -m
16323/1730/18053 mbufs in use (current/cache/total)
16322/1476/17798/131072 mbuf clusters in use (current/cache/total/max)
16321/831 mbuf+clusters out of packet secondary zone in use (current/cache)
0/54/54/65536 4k (page size) jumbo clusters in use (current/cache/total/max)
0/0/0/32768 9k jumbo clusters in use (current/cache/total/max)
0/0/0/16384 16k jumbo clusters in use (current/cache/total/max)
40805K/4033K/44838K bytes allocated to network (current/cache/total)
0/0/0 requests for mbufs denied (mbufs/clusters/mbuf+clusters)
0/0/0 requests for jumbo clusters denied (4k/9k/16k)
0/0/0 sfbufs in use (current/peak/max)
0 requests for sfbufs denied
0 requests for sfbufs delayed
0 requests for I/O initiated by sendfile
0 calls to protocol drain routines