It entirely depends on the hardware you use for pfSense as to how much load
it can handle. I for one, push a sustained 60-70Mbps, with bursts of
120Mbps or more on a fairly hefty Xeon 64-bit server with 16GB of RAM. I
have mostly simple rules, several IPSec and OpenVPN endpoints, and about 8
virtual inbound load balanced servers. It never gets bogged down.

At home, I have it installed on a small ALIX based system (embedded AMD
i386 compatible) and it can easily max out my FiOS line at 60Mbps download,
but the VPN to the main data center maxes out at 30Mbps.

I don't have any idea what VDSL is, so cannot speak to how to configure the
WAN on the pfSense. On my home system, I just set it to DHCP and let the
verizon FiOS router assign it an address. This is also how it worked with
my comcast cable modem. If your router gives pfSense a non-routable address
like 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x, be sure to turn off the block of those IPs on
the WAN interface in pfSense.