Hello everybody.

This is just to thank Seth and Vick who have answered my questions and gave advice.

Unfortunately I could not follow my plan to add a pfSense box to my home network because the vdsl router didn't work as a bridge.. too bad!

Anyways, the botnet attack is over and my router is now happy again.

Thank you all and best regards.
Robi

Roberto Nunnari wrote:
Hi all.

I have a problem with my home internet connection.

My vdsl router gets on the wan interface about 40-50 requests per second on port 80 and when I configure it so that it forwards that traffic to my web server, the router can't bear the load and freezes after a few seconds. All that traffic is not normal.. it's a botnet attack.. on my server I have scripts that examines the logs and adds the violator IPs as DROP in iptables. After a week, this morning I counted over 140'000 unique IP DROP entries! The server seems to face well the attack.. but when the load it's so high, the vdsl router just freezes.

So, I thought I may configure the vdsl router as a bridge and put a pfsense box in between the bridge and my home network.

Apart from the fact that yet I don't know how the router will behave when configured as a bridge (will it bear the network load? what will happen to the four lan ports? only one will be left active?), I would like to know how should I configure the pfsense box.. I mean.. would it be enough to just move the configuration from the vdsl router to the pfsense box? The vdsl router is now configured with PPPoE over PTM (POTS).. would it be fine if I configure pfsense as PPPoE on the wan interface?

Thank you for your help.
Best regards.
Robi