Hi Walter,

On 2013-10-09 21:53, Walter Parker wrote:
To answer your question about throwing the first stone. Your question reads a bit like the "Are you a criminal/commie?" questions. Many people would object to the question at the start because it implies that the people being asked the question has done something wrong. Watching the reactions to political debates shows that asking the question can be enough to get a sizable amount of the audience to think the answer is yes, even when no proof is ever given that something happened.

Interesting what all kinds of different things you do interpret into my question. By my comprehension I just asked simple but important question and did this quite straight-forwardly.

Then when the question was deleted, you demanded that pfSense take a stand on it.

Yes. Censorship always raises questions.

Let me show you what it looks like from the other side:

Have you planned to overthrow the government? When will you show that you are not plotting to kill your fellow country men? It is a simple question, when will we here something from you? I just ask because I want to be sure that you are not trying to kill me.

Well, your example neglects one important aspect: pfSense is a kind of security software project. Asking it about it's level of security and integrity is a question that such a project must stand, IMHO. It is like asking a bank how safe my money is. Or asking Microsoft how good "Word" is for writing letters; while asking me about if I plan to overthrow some government or kill other people refers to nothing.

For the tool in question, pfSense, once you start questioning it, there is no way to get the bottom without eithering trusting the pfSense people (which means that the question is pointless because if you trust them, asking them if they have violated your trust means that you don't trust them) or getting an external validation (trusting another group of people or doing the work yourself).

I guess for anybody related to computer security it is a must to question anything anytime and take nothing for granted. You should question everything any time and any player in this domain should accept any questions any time, IMHO.

FYI, there is a long history on the Internet of people asking simple "innocent " question, not to get actually answers, but to cause trouble by causing the effect described at the beginning of my email (these are called trolls).

What trouble do you refer to? I only read some aggressive/ snappy answers which - frankly - I find pretty awkward reactions to my simple question.

Regards
Thinker Rix