I have an issue with printing that I'm hoping you might be able to help
with please. Many thanks in advance.

'pfSense A' is the default gateway. It has this configuration:

- System -> Advanced -> Firewall / NAT -> [*] Bypass firewall rules for
traffic on the same interface

- System -> Routing -> destination network x.x.x.x (a private address
space) is reached via gateway 'pfsense B'

'pfSense B' is a second router on the intranet, it is only intended for
routing to another intranet and the shared printer there.

Printing with the main gateway 'pfSense A' in place, and 'pfSense B', and
a switch, is broken, which I'll describe below.
Printing from through just 'pfSense B' and a switch, works fine.
This leads me to believe the issue is something to do with 'pfSense A', or
something about the fact that because traffic has first been routed via
'pfSense A', that 'pfSense B' or the printer has an issue with that.
I have firewall rules in place on 'pfSense B' for dealing with the printer
but I'll not describe them (unless you need me to) because printing works
fine through just 'pfsense B'.

The issue is that when Windows XP workstations print, sometimes printing
is OK, but mostly multiple copies of the job appear in the printer's
queue, with error code 'NG, end code 857' [1], and the job eventually
prints but only after a great deal of time like 20 minutes.
Perhaps the job is being re-sent multiple times and that's why it appears
multiple times in the queue.

I've seen the same issue with both Canon iRC3080i and Canon IR ADV C2230i.

[1] "Data reception timed out, or the job was cancelled at the host. Check
that the network is functioning properly, and then try printing again."

Any thoughts?
Thanks

--
Pete Boyd