Hi all,

I am planning a new pfSense box and am wondering if the hardware that I want to use will be sufficient.

Hardware:
********************
2x Intel PRO/1000 PT Quad Port Gigabit NICs, each directly connected via PCIe-8x to the North Bridge of the CPU 4x on-board Realtek 8111C Gigabit NICs, connected via PCIe-4x internally to the South Bridge of the CPU, which they share with the RAID controller
= 12 NICs total
Motherboard: Consumer Desktop Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core2Duo 2,4 GHz or Core2Quad 2,4 GHz or Core2Quad 2,89GHz
PCIe 3ware 9650SE RAID Controller with 2 SATA disks RAID0 or 3 SATA disks RAID5

Config:
********************
I will:
1. be bonding 2 Intel NICs for the DMZ and 2 Intel NICs for the LAN zone
2. have Dual-WAN VDSL (50 Mbps downstream, 10 Mbps upstream each)
3. have 3-4 site-to site VPN connections and 1-2 VPN road warriors via the WAN 4. have 1-2 VPN road warriors in my WLAN zone, connected with 450 Mbps WLAN-NICs to a 450Mbps WLAN Access Point that is connected with a gigabit NIC to a Intel NIC of pfSense
5. have 4-5 VLANs

Requirements:
********************
I want to have:
- full Gigabit wire speed between the DMZ and the LAN zone (i.e. 2x Gigabit at max)
- full 450Mbps between the WLAN and pfsense
- maximal VPN speed without speed break due to hardware limitations, i.e. as near to wire speed as possible

Questions:
1. Would the Core2Duo CPU be sufficient for my requirements or should I chose the 2,4 GHz Quad-core, the 2,89 GHz-Quad-core or maybe an even a more powerful CPU or totally different setup? 2. Is there any other bottle neck that will prevent my performance requirements? 3. When bonding the NICs, I was planning to use a port on each of the PCIe cards so to have a little bit of redundancy should an expansion card fail. Will there be significant performance losses due to this spread over 2 expansion cards, so that it would be much better to bond two NICs that live on the same expansion card and forget about the additional redundancy?

Thank you for any hint/advice/feedback!

Best regards
Thinker Rix