Hi Moshe,

On 2013-11-06 08:35, Moshe Katz wrote:

    Price Name Socket Cores Threads Cache Clock default Clock Turbo
    33.69 EUR Celeron 1155 2 2 2 MB 2.7 GHz --
    44.31 EUR Pentium 1155 2 2 3 MB 2.9 GHz --
    93.77 EUR Core i3 1155 2 4 3 MB 3.4 GHz --
    167.25 EUR Xeon 1155 4 4 8 MB 3.1 GHz 3.5 GHz

    The Xeon has hardware support for AES encryption that might speed
    up VPN traffic?

    Which of the CPUs do you advise me to pick?

    Thanks for any feedback,

    best regards

    Thinker Rix

I don't see a Core i5 on that list. See if you can get one of those. It'll be between the i3 and the Xeon in price, but will have the AES-NI instruction set. (It will also have 4 physical cores instead of the i3's dual cores with hyperthreading.)

Unfortunately the motherboards I plan to buy supports only the above-mentioned CPUs. I have another thread going where I discuss motherboard compatiblity with pfSense. Should someone report, that finally I could also use the other of the two boards (the one with the 1150-socket and the C222 chipset), I could use different CPUs:
- Pentium
- 4th generation core i3
- Xeon E3-1200 v3

In this case I could go for the i3, since it supports AES-NI.

But I do not expect that the C222 board will be compatible, so I most likely will have to stick with the CPUs mentioned above. Which one would you pick of those?

If you look around online, you will find almost universal agreement that AES-NI significantly improves VPN speed. This also means that even if you aren't maxing out the VPN's capacity, you will still be saving processor cycles for doing the other stuff that the machine needs to do.

There is this one thing I want to learn:
AES NI helps lowering CPU load for encryption/decryption tasks, sure. But what happens if the CPU is not under full load? Will there still be an advantage then, i.e. because the CPU can perform the de/encryption *faster* when having AES NI support, so that the VPN latency might be reduced, so that e.g. VoIP-over-VPN would improve? Or is it the case that there is no difference, as long as the CPU is not under full load, because all that AES NI does, is allow the CPU to computer with less resources?

Thank you for your time!

Thinker Rix